Sunday, March 10, 2013

Snap, Crackle... POP!

One of the biggest things that gets my skin crawling is the sound of someone popping their joints! Just typing that out makes goosebumps appear. I really can't stand it!! Having said that you can guess my next statement: I don't pop my joints. If they pop on their own then fine, but I do not ever pop them myself.

About a year and a half ago Trent stated going to a chiropractor. He loved it and would also mention how much better his body would feel after an adjustment. The only thing I could picture was someone applying lots of force to Trent's body to make that annoying and painful sounding pop. I also thought chiropractors were like witch doctors (not real).  After lots of failed attempts of inviting me to go I finally caved in and accompanied him to the chiropractor. It was fascinating learning about how important it is for the body to be able to communicate effectively. The better your body communicates with the brain and other body parts the quicker you heal and the less sick you become.

I wasn't having any issues at the time except for the fact that I was pregnant with Jonah.The chiropractor explained that it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to get a few adjustments so that my body would be best equipped for childbirth. I folded like a deck of cards and laid down on the table for a few minor adjustments. My nerves were going crazy and I was laying in a pool of my own sweat. The thought of the popping noise was actually worse than the actual adjustment. I will admit that I did feel awesome after. I went for a couple of visits and then Jonah came along and I didn't really have time to go back.

Time went by and we moved. Trent was introduced to a chiropractor that does some work with some of the athletes on his team. He started going to him and got a "free check-up" for me to go see the new chiro. Which was actually perfect because I was feeling some slight discomfort in my neck and back due to carrying Jonah ALL THE TIME! Not only does this chiro do adjustments but he does Active Release Therapy (which is like stretching... and it hurts) and acupuncture (ahh!). I have noticed great improvements in my posture and back. He has even given me stretches/ workouts to do in order to maintain the work that he has done.

Trent and I decided that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the chiro look at Jonah as well. Obviously there isn't anything wrong with him but it's just great maintenance. I've read where people who have their child seen by a chiro have less ear infections, sickness and their children are in good moods! The adjustments Jonah gets are tiny, in fact he actually smiles or giggles when he gets them. We've had great results! Jonah has had a few minor colds this winter (no fever) and we have yet to get any kind of infection (knock on wood!). I would much rather pay for a chiro visit than for a doctor's visit and antibiotics (which are not always good for you or necessary). We take Jonah in once a month (Those visits are hilarious because we go in to all 3 get adjustments, it's pretty much a Simmons' circus! We're also easy to find in the office because Jonah leaves a trail of his snacks on the floor, and he has all of the girl interns around him cooing!).

                               Jonah resting while Mommy gest acupuncture on her shoulders.


Disclaimer: This is not a generalization of all chiropractors. I would never go visit a chiropractor that I did not feel comfortable with. We have really lucked out with our's because he is wonderful and takes great care of all of us! I trust him 100% with our son! If you want to go visit one then ask other people for referrals and research.s

No comments:

Post a Comment