Friday, March 29, 2013

Ice Cream... Made From Bananas?

Lately Trent and I have had cravings for ice cream/ yogurt! I think last week we indulged in yogurt three times... EEEK!! This could totally break the bank if we let it become a habitual event. A new yogurt placed recently opened by our house and they have the best flavors. I'm more of an ice cream kind of girl and yogurt usually falls short, however this yogurt place is actually pretty good. I mentioned this yogurt place to Trent's coach because this particular yogurt place has a playground inside. Another teammate of Trent's was standing there and asked us if we had ever tried making ice cream out of bananas. Of course our answer was no, who would think to do that? He explained that it tastes pretty similar to ice cream and it has the same consistency. Trent and I decided to give it a try (bananas are definitely healthier and cost much less than buying yogurt all of the time!). We ended up loving it! Here is the basic recipe:

Ingredient (2 Servings):
2 Frozen Bananas (do not freeze with the peel)
1-2 Cups (depending on what kind of consistency you like) Milk (we use coconut milk)
1 Tablespoon Vanilla

Place all of the ingredients in the blender or Vitamix for about a 30-60 seconds, depending on how thick you want your ice cream. You can add in fruit, peanut butter, nutella, cinnamon, sugar etc. The taste still has a hint of banana but by altering the ingredients you can change the flavor. I like adding cinnamon and a tiny pinch of sugar to sweeten it a little more. It's healthy, delicious and definitely fills your craving for a sweet dessert! Enjoy :)

*A Money Saving Tip- Some grocery stores discount bananas that are starting to go bad. Buy those bananas and freeze them when you get home :)

3 comments:

  1. We just did a really similar recipe with blackberries, honey, and yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi you two! Holly, as always, I love hearing about your (all of you!) adventures in cooking and try-athleting. Have you seen this post from the Kitchn? It's the same recipe, but has some nice step-by-step images: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-w-93414.

    Can't wait to read more! Love, Celia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Celia, I hadn't heard of this until last week. I'll have to check that website out! We just got a computer (long story but we haven't had a computer in 2 years!!) so hopefully I can start putting pictures up on the blog! We hope that you're doing well!

      Delete