Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Share The Road

My favorite aspect of triathlons is the cycling! As a child I loved riding my bike around the neighborhood and my love for being on a bike has continued. Taking a massive spill on my bike when I was 11 (no helmet, blood everywhere on my face, plastic surgeon, over 25 external stitches and numerous internal all around my left eye) slowed me down for a few years. During college Trent and I bought some hybrid bikes to ride around Norman, OK. But I really fell in love with cycling when we bought my triathlon bike and cycle shoes (what girl doesn't love new shoes?). As those of you who are married know that it's sometimes hard getting advice from your husband! Trent hooked me up with some cycling lessons and that solidified my love for cycling. I was getting trained and learning the technique to riding a bike (did you know you're not supposed to push down with your feet, but rather pull back?). I began to actually get pretty good and that when sweet Jonah came along!

As I mentioned before finding time to cycle is challenging!  However, we met a great couple at church last year and they cycle. The wife, Taylor, and I have been getting together once a week to ride. This has been excellent for me because we just go out on long, easy rides. I really do not prefer to cycle on my own. Being alone on your bike while cars are cruising around you can be quite scary at times. Not only do they speed past you but some people feel the need to honk, flip you off, yell at you, pull up super close to you and reeve their engine, cut you off, try to pass you in the same lane you're riding in etc. This is really irritating to me on a number of levels, not to mention it can be extremely dangerous for the cyclist! 

In many places it is actually illegal for cyclist to be on the sidewalk! Sidewalks are for walking, not cycling (unless specified on a trail). It's dangerous for cyclist to be on the sidewalk, not only for the cyclist but also for the walker/ runner. I feel the need to post a few of the Texas laws in regards to bicycles on the road. 

1. Bicyclist have the rights and duties of other vehicle operators: This means cyclists must stop at stop signs and red lights, have the right to the lane they are in, but cars are required to yield right-of-way to a bicycle when appropriate, just as to any other vehicle.  

2. You may ride 2 abreast as long as you don't impede traffic.

3. Ride near the curb and go in the same direction as other traffic: near the curb is subjective but the law gives cycles the right to take the lane. 

4. Bicyclist should ride in the right lane unless they are trying to make a left turn.  

Here are a few tips for you when you're driving and see a cyclist:
1. Do not honk. 
2. Give the cyclist plenty of space, do not pull up right behind/ beside them. Give them the entire lane when passing.
3. If you come to a stop sign at the same time give the cyclist the right-of-way (it's a pain to have to un-clip your shoes just to clip back in a few seconds later).   
4. Be patient!

Luckily, we haven't encountered any major problems. I don't think the majority of drivers are really aware of the rights cyclists have. Cyclists are to be treated like cars (in fact Trent got pulled over a few weeks ago for not fully stopping at a stop sign!).

On another, but related note: If you happen to see a cyclist (or a runner) who is hurt or needs help check out their wrist or ankle for a Road ID. It's a rubber band that has a metal plate with emergency contact information, blood type, medical conditions etc. It's a great way to help save a life or just help someone out who needs help!

My personal Road ID.


 Thanks for reading my rant about cyclist on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment