Sunday was Trent's first triathlon race of the season. This race was on the calendar as a "knock off the rust race." It wasn't a big race, it was just a local race. It's still too cold for an open water swim race so the swim was in a pool (which isn't really that much fun). The distance of this race was a sprint (300 meter swim, 12 mile bike and a 5K run). As I said before this race was on the schedule to just get Trent's race legs under him.
We prepared for this race like it was a big race because there are lots of things to consider that can be tweaked for bigger races. For example we've been experimenting with what foods sit well in Trent's stomach on race day. We've wanted to find a food that not only sits well with Trent but something that can be found just about anywhere (so when we are traveling the world we can find the same thing). To your surprise we have settled on pizza. It sits well with Trent's stomach and it can be found just about anywhere on the globe! Other things that go into our prep for race day are: bedtime, hydration, breakfast, what time to get to the race, the activity the day before race day etc.. Not only are those things on our minds, but now Jonah is a big factor in how we prepare (or at least how I prepare).
The race started at 8am in Denton on Sunday. Trent and I rarely ride to races together because he has to get to the race 2 hours early to claim his transition area and set it up. Trent decided that he would ride with one of his teammates. They left around 5:30 in the morning! My prep for Jonah's and my departure began the night before. I'm not a great morning person, although having a baby has helped me become much better at mornings! Saturday night I made sure the stroller was in the car along with a couple of blankets and Jonah's high chair cover (we usually grab something to eat after). I packed a snack and an extra banana for Jonah. I wasn't go to risk him getting fussy due to hunger. I also had his lunch ready to grab out of the fridge along with a water bottle for me. Jonah's breakfast of oatmeal was poured and in a container, all I would need to do is add water once we got to the race. Trent made a recovery shake and placed it in the freezer for me to bring to him for after the race. I even had Rex's dog food measured and ready to go on the kitchen counter.
All I had to do that morning was get up. Get myself dressed, nurse Jonah, get him dressed, grab the snacks/ food out of the fridge, grab Trent's recovery shake, let Rex out and dump his food in his bowl. I accomplished all of these tasks in 30 minutes. We left around 6:40 and arrived at the race by 7:30.
I realize that my preparation may not sound that impressive to anyone, and that's okay. However, if you have kids then you know that it can be crazy when you leave your house for six hours. That's six hours that you have to plan for! Anything can happen in those hours and you have to be ready! Jonah was terrific at the race and at lunch after. He was a real trooper and that made it easy for me to focus on Trent and the race.
Trent raced really well! He got 3rd overall and took away some valuable lessons in strategy. We are very pleased and can't wait for the next race in April!
No comments:
Post a Comment