Sunday, February 24, 2013

Where's the Workout?

When I was pregnant with Jonah many people commented that I would never be able to get back into triathlons. They would say, "Well, I guess your triathlon days are over." I really hated this because it was as if other people were going to make up their mind as to how my life should be.

As I have mentioned before Trent and I were not planning on having a baby anytime soon! However, when we found out we were pregnant we decided we would make the most out of life. This meant that we would continue doing things that we loved! We didn't want to be "those parents" who put their whole lives on hold for 18 years until their kids were grown up. I was telling my cycling coach this and he agreed. He told me that some of the best children were those who took part in what their parents were doing. Therefore, Trent and I decided life/ fun/ hobbies didn't have to stop just because we would be a family of 3.

For the most part we have been able to hang on to things that we enjoy doing. It's not always easy, but where there is a will there is always a way! We have taken trips, spent time with friends, entertained friends at our house etc. Yes, we have had to change the way in which we do things to make life easier with Jonah (for example we now go out to eat around 6 or 6:30, not 7:30). So far it's worked out great!

The one area in which I really struggle with enjoying my passions is with working out. I am beginning to get the itch to race again but I am having a hard time finding time to train! The easiest aspect to train for is the run. It's not too hard to leave Jonah with Trent in the evenings and go for a 3 mile run (sometimes I run with Jonah in the jogging stroller, but boy is that a tough workout or what!?!?!). I can usually get a run in a couple of times a week depending on the weather. Occasionally I've been able to hop on my bike with Trent or some friends. Cycling is more difficult because it just takes more time and I really don't like riding by myself! When I ride with Trent I really have to plan ahead to get a babysitter. This is not a big issue but when Trent asks me the day before to ride it's a little bit more of a problem! The swimming is by far the biggest challenge. I used to swim at the natatorium of my school district for free, but since we moved we don't live very close. Paying to swim somewhere is also not appealing because that tugs at our wallets. I haven't figured this out... yet!

My biggest dilemma is time! I feel like this is the excuse of most new moms. As much as I don't want it to be my excuse it seems like it is most of time... sigh! I've heard many quotes about if something is truly your desire than you will find time for it, if you can't find time for it then it's not truly a desire. I think to some degree this might be true, however I don't want it to be true for me. Slowly I am figuring out ways to get a workout in here and there. It takes lots of creativity with our time and is definitely not constant. I hope to be able to get into a routine with working out one of these days. The itch to race has begun and the competitive side of me is ready to explode!

No comments:

Post a Comment