Sunday, February 28, 2010

Purim

Trent has a close friend named Amir. They met when they were in the ninth grade and have been great friends ever since. Trent and Amir have a very unique but special friendship. The part that makes it unique is that Amir is Jewish. Amir and Trent can go round and round about their different views but at the end of the day they hug and tell each other they can't wait to get together again. We like to get together with Amir and his girlfriend Megan whenever we can! We have a blast hanging out!

A few months ago Trent and I were having a conversation about musicals and I told him that one of my favorite musicals is Fiddler on the Roof. He had never seen it before so I quickly rented the movie. It didn't take long before Trent was singing "If I were a Rich Man" and "Tradition." After we watched it he immediately called Amir and told him about my favorite musical. Amir was so excited that I loved the show so much.
Earlier this week Amir called and told us that Pearce High School was putting on Fiddler on the Roof this weekend. So of course we had to go with Amir and Megan. We met them for dinner and went to watch the show, which we only stayed for the first half. During intermission Megan and Amir told us that it was Purim, a Jewish holiday to celebrate Ester saving the Jews. There was a Purim party downtown at the Chabad and they thought it would be fun to take us there. So we agreed and drove downtown to a house-like place.
We felt out of place immediately! As soon as we walked in I told Trent that I felt like a giant because everyone was shorter. Everyone was in costume because you are supposed to celebrate so much that you don't recognize anyone (I guess you could equate Purim to a Jewish Mardi Gras)! We didn't stand out at all... especially with my blonde hair and our Scandivian features.
Even though we were out of place we had a great time meeting other friends of Amir and Megan's and reconnecting with some people that Trent went to high school with. It was interesting to have seen Fiddler on the Roof earlier and then the same culture but in modern day at the Chabad. The times may have changed but the people and the traditions are well alive. There truly is a strong sense of community, unlike any I have ever seen before. L'Chayim (To Life)!

No comments:

Post a Comment