(Trent) Holly said it was time that I started contributing to the blog again and my assignment was to come up with something to say. After a week of thinking I came up with our healthy lifestyle in the kitchen. Or I should say my healthy lifestyle in the kitchen!! Holly really doesn't have to worry about her diet. She can eat whatever whenever and nothing happens (well nothing negative happens like gaining weight).
Most of you know I played baseball in college. During that time I weighed 195 lbs, but after I hung up my spikes I went up to 220 lbs! That was not a good thing. So I started eating smarter and working out more. Now that we are spending more time either cycling or competing in triathlons, weight and how we eat is very important, at least to me. We have made the shift to more organic types of food. But don't be fooled there is a difference in something being labeled "Organic" and something that is actually healthy organic.
When it comes to cooking oil we never use vegetable oil or Crisco, these are very bad for you. We seldom use olive oil, not that it is bad but we have found that coconut oil is the best oil to cook with. I like eating cereal in the morning so I eat only cereal that is baked (most cereal is fried). When do our best to find free range or cage free eggs and chicken. I won't go into detail on that but do some research and you will find interesting information of mass produced egg and chicken farms. For lunch I usually buy a bunch of vegetables and cook them Sunday night so I can eat vegetables for lunch during the week with some turkey meat on top. For dessert or in between meal snacks we eat fruit and lots of it. Not only does this help us to stay at optimal race weight for competition but also to be healthy.
If anyone wants some great recipes you can go to the TV show The Biggest Loser website and there are great, easy, and simple recipes (including desserts). Now this is not to say that we don't splurge once in awhile. I think the most important thing about eating healthy is not feeling guilty if you aren't a health nazi everyday. You have to be honest with yourself, because stress is also a factor to weight loss and gain. Again this healthy eating habit is more for myself then for Holly. I should say as I type this she is baking a chocolate cake!! I have no idea why besides to torture me. I won't stress out if I do have a piece ..... or two :).
No comments:
Post a Comment