(Okay... it's been a couple of weeks! I know!! I have been waiting to post recent pictures from our triathlon and I haven't had a chance to get them up. So this will have to do for now!)
This week at school is Red Ribbon Week. It is a week to talk to students about drugs, friends and being healthy. Drugs are kind of a tough subject to talk about with kindergarten students. They really have no idea about what drugs are. You also have to be careful talking about smoking because some of their parents might smoke and you don't want to step on toes. I had been thinking for days about what I was going to do about this week. I came up with the idea of talking about friends and being different. I read a book "Cock-A-Doodle-Hoo." It's about an owl that finds itself in a hen's house. The hens try to teach him to be a rooster and he just isn't a good rooster because he is an owl. The hens begin to doubt him and then he saves the hen's house from a rat. The hens then love him.
We talked about how good friends will never try to teach us to do something that we don't want to do. We then talked about how drugs are not healthy for our body. Then (my favorite part) we made owls!!! (For those of you who do not know, I was a Chi Omega in college. The mascot for Chi O is the owl... therefore I love owls). We hung them on a banner in the hall and our banner will be on the TV tomorrow for morning announcements. My students are extremely excited!
When I showed Trent the picture he said, "you would make your class make owls!!" To that I replied, "Yes, I would!"

"Whooo says NO to drugs? We doooo!"
No comments:
Post a Comment