Sunday, April 11, 2010

So Long Texas Stadium


Hello! Sorry it's been a while since the last post. Life has been crazy with both Trent and I training for our triathlon.

For the past few days the media has made a huge deal out of the implosion of Texas Stadium. The implosion was planned to take place this morning at 7:03 am. They had sold tickets for $25.00 for people to come watch the stadium crumble (I heard today on the radio that over 4,100 people had gone to watch). The parking lots opened at 2:00am for people to come claim their own spot to watch... CRAZY!

Trent and I live not too far from the site of Texas Stadium. When we went to bed last night we discussed if we would get up at 7:00 to watch the implosion from the roof. We decided that we wouldn't because it was sure to be played over and over on TV. However, at 7:00 this morning I happened to wake up to what I thought was the implosion. I nudged Trent and said, "well it must be done now." The noises continued, so Trent ran up to the roof. About 20 seconds after he left I decided I would join him. When I opened the door to the roof I realized that the sound I heard was not the implosion because when I looked out I saw the domed stadium still standing (the noise happened to be fireworks... ). Trent and I stood there a few moments when all of a sudden we heard loud bangs and saw the red flash-points coming from the stadium. The next thing I new the roof began to fall in a domino effect. It was over within a minute.

It was kind of sad watching the structure just collapse before our eyes. What took years to build... only took a minute to destroy.

I'm glad we saw it, but I definitely don't think it was worth $25 (and lack of sleep) paid by thousands.

(Trent) Standing up on the roof by myself in my pajama shorts, barefoot I was freezing. I was excited to see Holly in her warm pj top and bottoms, and although she didn't see the joy in holding each other so close during the implosion of the stadium it sure warmed me up. I don't understand her sentimentality to the whole thing. I remember dad taking us to a bunch of Cowboy games when we were younger. But it was awesome hearing, feeling, and then watching the stadium come crashing down. I am glad they started with the fireworks to wake us up so we could get to the roof just in time to watch the grand finale!

No comments:

Post a Comment