Sunday, October 4, 2009

Rock Climbing


Almost a year ago Trent and his friend Jordan began rock climbing weekly. Trent loved it and just insisted that I go with him sometime. I had been climbing before, but I just didn't think it was something that I would really enjoy. After weeks of Trent's persistence I decided to try it out.... let's just say that we now go climbing weekly! Once I finally admitted to liking climbing Trent surprised me with my own climbing gear (shoes and harness). I love the challenge and the strategy that goes into scaling the wall. At first I was not so sure I wanted to climb all the way to the top... I've never been afraid of heights... however, there is something about trusting a rope when you're at the top that I had to get used to. Not only is rock climbing a thrill it also gives you a great workout! We really enjoy climbing together and it's something that we look forward to each week.

(Trent) Women are better for the most part at climbing. Men have more upper body and brute strength this usually results in men to wear out quicker during climbs. Women tend to use their grace and their flexibility, therefore they tend to be more successful with energy and climbing through tough sequences. So I knew Holly would be a natural when it came to climbing. Also it is not surprising to see men and women over the age of 40 climbing, so this hobby isn't limited to the young, just the young at heart.

This is how I came up with one of our most brilliant birthday ideas ever. What a great way for someone to share in our hobby and enjoy a night with us. That is when we decided for my mom's birthday we would give her a night of climbing and dinner. And she did not disappoint! I knew she was young at heart, and as much as she acts soft she can be tough. Her first climb she was at the top before we even knew what to do. Holly and I were staring at each other surprisingly pleased, and mom was stuck now wondering what to do now that she was at the top. After that initial climb she never failed to climb any route she attacked. Not that I thought she would fail, but I was very proud of her and what she did. She never said no to anything and tried it all.

We also learned an interesting kernel of information. Our parents don't really read this blog so I am sure that she won't mind us posting a picture of her climbing! We love you and had a blast, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment