
As our days in Fort Worth are numbered we have begun to realize there are things we have wanted to do around here. Trent and I decided that this weekend we would take advantage of our time here. Friday night we went to the Weatherford high school football game. We have been wanting to experience a small town football game in the area. The weather was cold and the atmosphere was exciting, the perfect Friday night outing in Texas!On Saturday morning we woke up and drove down to Glen Rose, Texas. It's about an hour from Fort Worth. We drove through Fossil Rim Wildlife Center and had a blast seeing all the animals. My parents had taken me there when I was younger and I have been dying to go there. Fossil Rim has a drive that you can take through their property and look at all of the animals. You can also buy a bag of feed to feed the animals as you drive through (if you go you MUST buy food because that's what makes it so much fun!). The animals come up to the car hoping to be fed... I think it took Trent by surprise when the Ostrich (the first animal we saw) stuck it's head through his window! We saw ostriches, different types of deer, rhinos, giraffes, zebras, cheetahs, and oryx (Obviously the cheetahs and rhinos were behind a fence...).
For those of you who do not know I really love giraffes. The whole ride I was just waiting and saving food for when we came to the giraffes. The first giraffes we saw (there were three) were standing away from the cars. One giraffe looked like it might come to the cars but then a girl (a few cars ahead of us) starting chunking food toward it. The giraffe was not going to have any of that and it ran to join the others, far away from the cars. To say the least, I was very disappointed! Well our luck turned around when we drove a little further and saw another giraffe eating out of a trough. There were three cars in front of us and I began praying that they wouldn't startle the animal again! Trent made a sound, one like you might call a horse with and the giraffe turned and slowly walked to OUR CAR!! I starting quickly whispering to Trent to get the food ready!!! The giraffe lowed his head and put it in our car!! We both fed the giraffe at least two handfuls of feed (the giraffe was the only animal you could feed out of you hand!). After we finished feeding the giraffe, he turned and walked back to it's trough and ignored the other cars!!! It made my day and I can't stop thinking about it!!
My favorite animals were the giraffes, zebras and the ostriches, even though I think they are kind of creepy! Trent and I had a blast on the 3 hour drive through Fossil Rim and laughed the entire way. It was great and a memory we will not forget for a long time!
(Trent) The Friday night football game was a blast. Hopefully we will be able to see some of the other small towns in the area play.
Glen Rose was something we have talked about for a while. There is of course Fossil Rim and the wildlife refuge. As well as something Holly and I have been wanting to see, the Creation Evidence Museum. As some people may not know there are a few different origins "ideas". There is the evolution idea that we came from molecules to man and the world is billions of years old. Another idea is that some intelligent designer got the universe started and it came to this point. Then there is the Christian view that God created the world in 6 consecutive days many millennium ago. Some secularists and sadly Christians as well would state that dinosaurs lived "millions" of years before humans walked on the earth (contradicting Biblical accounts). One of the most exciting fossils we saw was that of two footprints. The first footprint was a human footprint, the second footprint was a dinosaur footprint. That may not mean much, it didn't to me at first, but when you look at the human footprint was imprinted first in the stone then the dinosaur footprint appears to have stepped over half the human footprint. The fossil was studied and tested and the date of the fossils were from the Cretaceous period. But that is millions of years before humans had evolved from . . . well you get the idea. The museum was a blast and very insightful we hope to take our whole family out there soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment