Saturday, August 15, 2009

I Do My Cooking in.... the Kitchen

(Trent) This morning we went to see the movie Julie & Julia, it makes me very hungry just thinking of the movie. Holly and I are having our own cooking foray. Before we were married and even now people will still give us "newlywed" advice, which we happily listen to. Most advice is about cooking and eating. But Holly is a great cook! I have to say that I love coming home to find out what we are having for dinner. Holly has a great talent for cooking and baking. I come home to the smell of BBQ brisket, or she has concocted up a new kind of rice krispy treats. Sometimes I will come home to freshly baked cookies just cause she felt like it. My new goal is to find how to make her feel like baking everyday!

(Holly)God's gift to all newly weds, especially wives learning to cook (and husbands who must eat their cooking), is the crock-pot. I LOVE cooking with it!!!!!! It's so easy to just put the ingredients in the pot, turn it on low and let it cook for the day. It fills our home with the most amazing aroma throughout the day! Then at dinner time the food is cooked and ready to eat! I cannot tell you how much I LOVE the crock-pot, I use it at least once a week.

While I was student teaching last spring the teacher I was working with showed me a website:http://www.50plusfriends.com/cookbook/crockpot/index-5b.html that has tons of recipes for the crock-pot. Each Sunday I sit down and look at the website to pick out which meals we will try that week. Our favorites so far have been the chicken tacos and the BBQ brisket.

Besides using the crock-pot I have learned that my real passion in the kitchen is baking. I didn't realize how different baking and cooking are until recently. Someone once described the two as physics vs chemistry. I was never good at physics, chemistry on the other hand I could do! Anyway, baking has been a great escape for me during the long days when I am waiting for Trent to come home. Each week I bake something. This past week we had angel food cake with whipped cream and strawberries. I usually send my treats to work with Trent so that we don't get sucked into eating all of it by ourselves! Trent says his coworkers hope I don't find a job so that I will continue baking them treats!

No comments:

Post a Comment