Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Schedule Perspective

I like order. I like organization. I like a clean house. I like things to be as close to perfect as possible. I'm very type A! If you were to ever visit my kindergarten classroom it was always in tip-top shape. I hate clutter! My students were well trained in how to clean up the classroom and where things belonged.  I was always well-prepared for the next day. If you were to sub for me you would find a very detailed outline of the day's schedule, where things were located in the room and you would even find sticky notes all over labeling the materials for the day. My students knew how to sit on the carpet, work at their tables and walk in the hallways. If they forgot we would practice (I'm not kidding... don't get me wrong, I wasn't a drill Sargent but I expected order in my room). Everything about that day was planned out perfectly!

A baby is a great wake-up call from a life of perfect order! It's funny how once Jonah was born my perspective changed. For nine months leading up to Jonah I was told from many people how important the schedule was going to be. A baby on a schedule is much happier than a baby who is not on a schedule, that's what I heard multiple times! I knew in my mind that I could keep a schedule. I had been doing that for a few years with 20 plus students, I could definitely do this with one baby. However, I knew that there would be reasons to get off schedule and I didn't want to inconvenience people because of "our schedule." For the first time I had a somewhat sour taste for a schedule!

You would think that I would have a perfect schedule for Jonah and me... wrong! I do have a schedule for us, but there are days that we don't keep to the schedule perfectly. If we are around the house I keep to a pretty tight schedule. But things come up and opportunities arise that are more important (or more fun) than a schedule.  Yes, I do get paid back with lots of fuss if we miss a nap or I wait too long to feed Jonah. I don't really like the fussy monster that Jonah becomes when he is incredible tired or hungry, and I try not to get to that point. I can usually adjust the schedule so that we can still fit in a short nap or I might feed him early so that we can go play with friends. I've found that this happy go-lucky schedule is great! I enjoy not being tied down to a strict schedule. In fact, Jonah is very go with the flow most of the time!

Our lifestyle does not always fit best for a person of a strict schedule. For one, Trent's daily schedule is never the same and out of town races will take us off schedule. I've came to terms with this easily. I'm not exactly sure how I came to be so relaxed but I am really enjoying it! There are some things in life that are more important than trying to have a perfect day. Don't get me wrong. I prefer to make plans with friends in advance to think through the best plan for Jonah. It is easier to stick to the schedule, but flexibility makes it so much easier for everyone! There is nothing more annoying than a baby's schedule dictating when other people have to eat, sleep, visit etc. Our flexible schedule has definitely made the leap into this lifestyle easy.

Disclaimer: I still hang on to aspects my type A personality. I do still prefer a clean house and clean it probably twice a week. Although, having fun and playing with Jonah definitely takes priority over cleaning. If you come over and things are not perfectly neat you'll know we've been having lots of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment