If you've read our blog before you know that Trent competes in triathlons. I do too, but since sweet Jonah was born in May I haven't been able to get back into it... yet! In June, Trent competed in the Play Tri Festival race in Irving, Texas. We had debated about him doing this race since it was just a few weeks after our son was born. We were both in the midst of the "new baby fog" and we were just flat out exhausted. We decided that it would be a good race to do since it was close to our house and Jonah and I could go. I encouraged Trent to view this race as a training day and not as a race that he would go out to win. I knew that I wouldn't be able to console my four week old baby and my 28 year old husband if he didn't compete well.
This was his first olympic distance race and he did very well in it. In fact, when the race was over there was a local team interested in him joining! Joining a team is a great way to get more plugged into the triathlon community. Teams have sponsors, coaches, and lots of other connections that can help someone (like Trent) advance in the triathlon world. Trent researched the team and in the meantime another team was interested in him joining. This other team was willing to work with Trent and develop him into a professional triathlete. Therefore, Trent joined Team Cambridge and with that our lives were about to change!
Trent was the young boy who loved to play outside for hours. He once told his dad that he wouldn't be caught dead working behind a desk in an office all day long when he grew up. When Trent graduated from college he ended up working behind a desk in an office all day long. He did this reluctantly and has always been seeking opportunities to get out from behind the desk. Little did he know (almost two years ago when he started competing) triathlon would one day bring that opportunity!
We had been trying to figure out what I would do with my career now that we had a baby. I adored my kindergarten teaching job, but in my heart I felt that it was more important for me to stay at home. I have always believed that being a mom is the most important job there is in the entire world. There was no way I was going to miss out on it! However, quitting my job was a bit daunting! We were comfortable in our lifestyle (the big house, going out to dinner, going to movies, massages, manicures, new clothes, new toys etc.). If I quit my job then what? Would we have to move? Would I have to give up the luxuries that I had grown accustom to? Could we live on just Trent's sales salary? Would Trent have to work more hours? None of those questions were ones that I wanted to face. .. until Trent joined Team Cambridge. Trent and I felt that by joining the team that this was the chance for us to take a leap of faith. This would be our opportunity to chase the profession of a professional athlete. It was scary... Ultimately, we decided we would go after this lifestyle for two years. If we can't make it than we are young enough that we can reinvent ourselves and start over.
We quickly put our house up on the market. It had a contact within 11 days. Trent approached his boss and took a job working part-time so that he could focus on the end goal of being a professional triathlete. After lots of tears I cleaned out my classroom and resigned from my teaching job. I now work a few hours (7.5 to be exact) at my old school pulling small groups for tutoring. The team trains in Dallas and Trent's new job is in Richardson. We moved into a small house in Richardson. This change was quick!
The bottom line is this: We are happy! I know there are many who scoff at our life change and there are many people who do not understand what we are doing. I've had questions such as 'Will you still be able to get your hair done?' to 'Are you going to be living like a pauper?' to 'Can you really make money doing triathlons?' Yes, we have had to slim down on the luxuries that we had grown accustom to. Yes, we are being creative with how we spend our money. No, we do not live like paupers on the street corner. Like the Psalmist say we are but a vapor in the wind, a wave tossed in the ocean. Our lives will come and go. Trent and I have both realized that there is more to life than just money. As a friend of ours has said, "You don't see an armored truck following a hearse. You can't take the money with you!" We want to have a life that we love living. A life full of adventure. A life where we can travel (there are races and training camps all over the world). We want a life that makes us happy. How can you tell your children to follow their dreams if you yourself do not chase after your own dreams?
(I'm committing to updating our blog more often as we take on this journey as a family. I will also recap what has taken place in the past year and catch you up as to where we are now! Thanks for reading!)
No comments:
Post a Comment