Sunday, July 17, 2011

Wet Paint

In our house there were 2 rooms that really needed to be painted.  Hopefully the pictures will be able to prove what I'm talking about.  We had heard that someone would paint the rooms and only charge $100 a day.  We figured that would be better than us trying to figure out how to paint, or so I thought.  I came home to Holly putting blue tape all around the molding of the living room surrounded by paint cans and painting equipment.  I didn't see how we were going to save if we had to do all the work!  She informed me that not only would be saving on labor, we would be the labor!!! 


To be fair I have painted before on the outside of houses, and in elementary school art class.  But I didn't see how that was going to translate to interior walls.  The first thing I can say is setting that blue tape around your borders is an art and Holly is a modern day Picasso when it come to that.  Second, remember to leave windows open and something to move the air around when painting.  The fumes can really play with your mind!!  Third rollers are the key although it did take us longer than a professional it didn't take us as near as long as I assumed.  I envisioned us each with a paint brush painting the walls.  Armed with our rollers we could paint a wall in a few minutes and that includes the second coat!!  We got the rooms and painted and it was fun doing it ourselves and together.  But truth be told Holly deserves the most credit as it was her idea and as I had to go to work she would continue to attack the rooms with paint.  If you come over and see the house I can show the "spots" I painted the rest of it was Holly's great work.

Here are some before and after pictures.  The "before" pictures are from when the sellers still lived here (FYI: it's their furniture.... not ours). The "after" pictures were taken after the painting. 

The Living Room:
Before: A dark yellow, literally the same color as mustard.


After: A lighter yellow with the same white trim.
Next up for this room: furniture!!


The Den:
Before: Light yellow walls with an accent wall of gold/ yellow.

After: Neutral walls to match the kitchen. This room is almost completely furnished.
Holly is currently working on window treatments for this room.



No comments:

Post a Comment