Our first anniversary was one that I will never be able to forget.
Friday was my last day of teacher inservice at school. I got some great news and got to sign my permanent contract to continue teaching bilingual kindergarten!! As soon as I signed I called Trent and he was riding his bicycle during a late lunch break. An hour later I called him to tell him I was on my way home. He told me to wait because he had a surprise. When I came into our home I saw rose petals on the floor and Trent came out with flowers. I was about to live a moment I never want to live again, coming home to a husband who is hurt. As I went to hug him he told me to stop that he was hurt. I thought maybe he had fallen on his bike and had a few scrapes... however when I saw that his bike was broken into pieces I began to cry because I realized how serious he might be hurt. He was holding his right arm in a weird way... the best way I can explain it is how John McCain holds his arms. Trent had also hit his head pretty hard (he was wearing a helmet, thank goodness)!
What Happened: Trent was riding his bike about 22 mph. He came around a corner and a chocolate lab (not on a leash) came out of the trees right in front of him. Trent hit the dog and flew 5-10 feet in the air over his bike handles. He landed on his right shoulder. The dog was fine, the bike was broken in two and Trent was laying on the ground. The owner of the dog was a former Army Medic and helped Trent get up. He then carried Trent's bike to his car, drove Trent home and carried his bike inside. I am so thankful for this man for helping my husband in a serious situation. Trent then went and got flowers for me... he was determined to not spoil his surprise!
I decided we needed to go to the hospital and make sure my husband was ok. We found out that he didn't have anything broken in his shoulder... but he still couldn't move his shoulder and he was kind of out of it in the head. They put his arm in a sling to help take some pressure off his right shoulder. We went home and spent that night and the next day resting.
Here are some pictures of Trent's injury... sorry if they are kind of graphic.

Trent's torn up right side :(

Trent's shoulder up close... he is also missing skin on his right leg and knuckles.
Saturday night we went to a wedding of a good friend of ours from our church youth group. It was so neat to go to a wedding on our anniversary weekend. To finish out the weekend we had a picnic next to the lake, complete with sushi, fruit, wedding cake and champaign. We sat outside and watched the sunset over the lake and buldings. It was a great way to end our crazy weekend!


The flowers and cake are beautiful! Congrats. How's Trent holding up?
ReplyDelete