I was really excited about this race because it was going to be a good measuring stick of where Trent really is in his training. This race was stacked with guys who are solid competitors and many of them qualify each year for Kona (the world championship race in Hawaii). It would be a good indicator if Trent really has what it takes to make it as a professional. I know in my heart that he does have what it takes but I was ready to see it in his race results in a long course race.
I woke Jonah up, got in the car and started our hour drive to Valley View, Texas. My heart sank when I started heading north and I could see lightening off in the distance. Lightning could mean that the race would be shortened to a duathlon (run, bike, run) or at worst it could get cancelled. Trent would be crushed if the race were altered or cancelled, not to mention I would be upset (actually a little more than upset) that I woke Jonah up and drove all the way to the race site at 4:30 am. I continued driving praying for the storms to hold off (which is a hard prayer when the land can desperately use the water).
Jonah and I arrived at the race just in time to watch the sun come up over the lake. It looked like the rain would hold off and the weather was abnormally cool for July (which I was incredibly thankful for because watching a 3 hour race in 100 degree heat with lots of humidity is miserable). Trent's race began about 10 minutes late. After the X-50 distance race started then the olympic and sprint distances began.
I usually get nervous right before the race begins. Okay, many emotions usually pour over me before watching Trent race. I always have a bit of nervousness but usually I am overcome with pride for Trent and what is he accomplishing. On Sunday I felt excited and fairly calm. I had a good feeling about this race. Trent was the second athlete out of the swim. The first place guy came out about two and a half minutes ahead of Trent. There were two guys about 40 seconds behind Trent coming out of the water. I met Trent along the path out of the water to tell him how far ahead first place was. He gave me the usually thumbs up and he was gone. I knew the bike would take him close to two hours. Two hours.... what was I to do with two hours... Luckily this was a team race, meaning there were lots of team members there competing (most of them racing in the sprint and olympic distance races) for me to cheer on. I also fed Jonah his oatmeal and took him out of his stroller to walk in the sand.
After about an hour and fifteen minutes I decided we should go stand up by the transition area and wait for Trent to return. I noticed that Jonah needed a new diaper, but changing a diaper in the stroller is never easy so I decided to wait (yes, too much info is probably what you're thinking, but this does come into play later). We found a spot next to the transition area where Trent would run out once he got off the bike. I found myself continually checking my phone to see how long he had been on the bike(you bet I'm timing him and lapping his splits). Rain began to fall slowly and before long was coming down fairly hard. I looked at my phone and noticed that Trent had roughly 30 more minutes on the bike. I began to get nervous because wet country roads become crash mats when wet. The last thing we needed was for him to crash. Athletes in the sprint and olympic races began coming through transition. I began getting anxious to just see Trent come through and know that he survived the slick cycling conditions.
After about an hour and 47 minutes on the bike I looked up and saw a black bike, white aero helmet and Team Cambridge gear come racing around the corner. Phew! I must have missed the first two athletes in the X-50 race come into transition. I saw the guy ahead of Trent come in about 30 seconds or so before. A quick transition and Trent was off the bike and heading out on the run. I told him he was about 30 seconds behind the guy ahead of him. He looked calm and cool starting his run. I love watching Trent run. He has great form and he makes the run look so effortless, not to mention he is fast! Jonah and I made our way down to the path to which Trent would run by shortly. We saw the guy that was ahead of him, still about 20-30 seconds, run by. Trent still looked calm but the emotional/ competitive side of me came out. I told him in a very competitive voice that he better catch that guy and he better not lose to him (at this point I thought Trent was in 2nd place, but in reality he was in 4th).
Jonah was antsy and I took him out of the stroller to play. We hung out with some of the team and tried to stay dry from the rain that was still falling steadily. Athletes from the shorter distance races were beginning to finish. I continually checked my phone to watch the time so that I would know about when I would need to make my way down to the finish line. I went down to the finish with about 15 minutes until I knew Trent would finish. I wanted to watch and see if any of the X-50 athletes finished ahead of him. I balanced Jonah and our giant umbrella while butterflies began flying all through my stomach. The feelings of pride and the good feeling of, "I think Trent is going to win!" were swelling up inside of me.
I watched one sprint or olympic athlete after another cross the finish line. I was watching for that orange running number for the X-50. I didn't see one. I remember seeing Trent come around the corner. He ran right by me and I said, "You got this! You did it!!!!" I was expecting a big smile but instead I saw a straight face. I snaked my way through the crowd to meet him behind the finish line. I hurried up to him and said, "I think you won!" He looked at me confused and said, "Really? I don't think so." WHAT?!?! I explained that I hadn't seen any other X-50 competitors finish. A few seconds later an X-50 athlete (the guy who got second) came up to Trent and confirmed that he had been in the lead the whole time until the last couple of minutes when Trent passed him.
We were both overcome with emotion! Trent finally felt validated in his racing ability. He is better suited for longer course races and this proved it to him, me and everyone else. A couple of tears rolled down our faces and complete joy filled our hearts. Trent did it, he won!
| Blurry due to rain :) |
Trent went to grab something to eat and about that time I shifted my focus from Trent and the race to Jonah. I looked down only to see poop coming out of the leg of his shorts! SHOOT!! I totally forgot he needed a new diaper! What was I going to do? I chased after Trent hoping that nobody would look down at my filthy son (in the stroller), who at this point had put his hands in it... ugh. I flagged down Trent and said, "Come quick I need HELP!" He gave me a look of confusion but followed me off to a space where NOBODY was around. All I had to do was point down at Jonah and he knew exactly why I needed help. I guess this was my way of congratulating Trent on a great victory, "Great race, now help clean up this poop." I won't go into all of the details about Jonah's diaper but let's just say, we ran out of wipes, had to use his burp cloth and a blanket, had to change Jonah's clothes, had to wipe my hand countless times and wipe down the stroller. It was quite the mess and sweet Jonah, I'm so sorry!
(I hope that wasn't too much info but I find it humorous!)
All in all this day is one that we will never forget. The first true taste of a sweet, sweet victory. Trent, I am so proud of you and I can't wait for your next long course race!
No comments:
Post a Comment